Pumpkin Pecan Whoopie Pies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makes20 whoopie pies
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toasted chopped pecans, miniature semisweet chocolate chips and ground cinnamon, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, water, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop by 2 tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, combine flour and salt in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate, covered, until completely cooled.
- In another bowl, beat shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add chilled milk mixture; beat until light and fluffy, about 7 minutes. Spread about 3 tablespoons of filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator. If desired, roll the filled pies in pecans or chocolate chips and sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts1 whoopie pie: 424 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 15, 2018
I gave this recipe 3 stars because I was not a fan on the filling. I followed the directions very carefully. The maybe adding marshmallow cream to the mix? Other than that the pumpkin whoopie pies could have been a huge hit! I baked them just as the directions said and they turned out so soft and moist! The kids were scraping off the filling and said they loved the pumpkin taste in the cakes! ?? If I could post a picture I would!