- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 50)
- 1 cups chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 box (18-1/4 ounces) spice cake mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- In a mixing bowl on medium speed, beat the wafers, pecans and butter until crumbly, about 1 minutes. Press into three greased and floured 9-in. round cake pans.
- In another mixing bowl, beat cake mix, pumpkin, butter and eggs for 3 minutes. Spread over crust in each pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire racks and cool completely.
- For filling, combine butter and cream cheese in a small mixing bowl. Add sugar and vanilla; beat on medium until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Thinly spread between layers (crumb side down) and on the sides of cake. Spread caramel topping over top of cake, allowing some to drip down the sides. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews forPumpkin-Pecan Spice Cake
"Made this twice since I saw the recipe. Second time was late at night and I made the mistake of purchasing Vanilla Oreos instead of vanilla wafer, NOT a bad mistake. Did put a less sweet cream cheese frosting on the cake. Was a big hit both ways, this cake go a long way, it is so rich. Will be making it again!"
"Has anyone tried making this recipe in a 9 by 13 pan instead of the three cake pans? I would like to do it this way for ease in transporting it."
"This was great. I did as another reviewer recommended and did more crust and it may have been a little bit too much, however this turned out great and was loved by all at Thanksgiving . I also doubled the frosting. I will be making this again!"
"I LOVED this cake!! A few things: I would make a bit more of the crumb mixture as it was difficult to coat all of the pans with said amount. (about 1/2 more). I lined my pans with parchment paper and baking spray, it worked great!!! I would double the amount of cream cheese frosting, this amount is very small to spread over an already crumbly surface! I WILL make this again!!!!!!"
"this cake is awesome. I have been making it for over a decade and everyone loves it who has ever tasted it. It is a little more work but it looks very nice when you get it put together and is delicious."
"Won't make again"
"This is such a moist and delicious cake....you won't be disappointed!!!"