- 1 medium pie pumpkin (about 3 pounds)
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- Wash pumpkin; cut a 6-in. circle around stem. Remove top and set aside. Remove loose fibers and seeds from the inside and discard or save seeds for toasting. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt; sprinkle around inside of pumpkin.
- Replace the top. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until very tender. Cool.
- Scoop out pumpkin; puree in a blender until smooth. Place 2 cups pureed pumpkin in a large bowl. Add the ginger, nutmeg and the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the eggs, evaporated milk and milk.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges or decorate with pastry leaves. Pour filling into crust.
- Cover edges with foil. Bake at 375° for 75-80 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forPumpkin Patch Pie
"I put a review in 4 years ago and I still absolutely love this recipe so dose my now almost 6 year old daughter and 2 1/2 year old son....my daughter and I have been making every year for the past 4 years."
"I found this recipe after my pumpkins had been baked, so I couldn't add the spices to the pumpkins while baking them. I love the way it turned out and I will definitely make this again!"
"Made this pie with my three year old granddaughter. The whole family thought it was delicious!!! This is the second time we made it, and will be making again."
"I thought it was delicious and so did my 23 month old daughter.We will make it again real soon."