Pumpkin Pancakes with Apple Cider Compote
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
Makes14 pancakes (5 cups compote)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best egg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir in cider and orange juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pie filling and butter. Remove from the heat; set aside and keep warm.
- For pancakes, place oats in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Transfer to a large bowl; add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pie spice, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk, pumpkin, syrup and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened; fold in 1/2 cup pecans.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle; flatten with the back of a spoon. Turn when the undersides are browned; cook until the second sides are golden brown. Serve with compote and remaining pecans. Store leftover compote in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes with 1/3 cup compote: 493 calories, 21g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 28, 2014
I thought the apple overpowered the pumpkin pancakes. The pancakes were dense so eating more than one was a challenge for me. I loved the compote, but would suggest using it on a plain pancake or a cinnamon pancake.
Nov 24, 2013
Not exactly a review, but would like the Nutrition Facts without the compote. The pancakes sound good, but as a diabetic the carbs are too high with the compote.