Pumpkin Orange Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Candied orange peel, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, beat pumpkin, orange juice, milk and orange peel. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in nuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the milk, orange juice and peel. Frost cake. Garnish with candied peel if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 445 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Pumpkin Orange Cake
"The pumpkin makes the cake moist as well as adds a pretty color. The predominant flavor is citrus. We liked it."
"To the reviewer "patticakes527" did you have your glasses on when you read the ingredients and directions. The ingredients listed are listed in the directions and there is no pumpkin listed in the frosting ingredients. You really need to re-read the contents."
""Perfect as written"? The directions say to "cream the butter and sugar". Butter is not mentioned in the list of ingredients, nor is any other type of fat. Based on other recipes with similar sugar content, I used 1/2 cup butter. The 1 cup of canned pumpkin for the batter is actually listed under the ingredients for the orange frosting. There IS NO pumpkin in the frosting."
"Perfect as written. Moist and full of flavor. I made it the day before I was serving it. I will definitely be making this cake over and over again."