Pumpkin Napoleons Recipe
This is an outstanding dessert for special fall gatherings. The smooth pumpkin puree pairs well with the crunchy puff pastry.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 8 egg yolks, beaten
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Transfer to a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until cool.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. With a sharp knife, cut into 15 rectangles, 4 in. x 2 in. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. To assemble, split pastries in half horizontally. Place 10 bottom layers on a work surface; spread each with a scant 2 tablespoons pumpkin custard. Top with 10 pastries, remaining custard and remaining pastries. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin Napoleons
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC