Pumpkin Mousse in a Pumpkin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 medium pie pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/3 cup vanilla or white chips
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Cut top off pumpkin; scoop out and discard seeds. In small bowl, combine sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle inside of pumpkin. Replace pumpkin top. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, microwave vanilla chips with milk at 70% power; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, orange peel, reserved melted chips and remaining cinnamon. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into pie pumpkin.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nov 8, 2017
This is creamy with a great pumpkin taste. My husband likes to use it as a dip for gingersnap cookies.
Sep 17, 2015
So, you only scoop out the seeds and leave the pumpkin to bake in the oven?
Oct 16, 2013
This is awesome! I took this to a birthday social and everyone raved over it. I will make this again.
Oct 18, 2012
Easy and quick to make. It can be used in many ways such as a pie filling, filling in cup cakes, or just by itself.
Oct 18, 2012
easy and quick to make. It can be used in many ways such as a pie filling, filling in cup cakes, or just by itself as meant to be.
Oct 10, 2012
I didn't bother with the hallowed pumpkin, just made the mousse. For someone who doesn't like pumpkin pie, or anything else that has that squashy texture, the fact that I liked this and will most likely make again speaks volumes. I actually added a little more pumpkin than the recipe calls for...I didn't want to waste the 3 tablespoons extra I had. Thank you for the recipe! I finally have something pumpkin-y to make for the holidays!!
Aug 9, 2012
@kkj1259 and everybody else whose filling is like water...make sure to FOLD the whipped topping in. If you stir it in, it will be thin.
Oct 16, 2011
This is a huge hit. People always talk about it and remember it. Preparing the pumpkin is time-consuming, but it's so pretty and fun. My dog just ate my old issue from a few years ago with this recipe. So I just got online to see if I could find it and now I'm a member lol.
Oct 8, 2011
my filling is like water, is there a way to thicken it!
Sep 22, 2011
This is my favorite fall recipe! I sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top. Great recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.