Pumpkin Mousse in a Pumpkin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 medium pie pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/3 cup vanilla or white chips
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Cut top off pumpkin; scoop out and discard seeds. In small bowl, combine sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle inside of pumpkin. Replace pumpkin top. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, microwave vanilla chips with milk at 70% power; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, orange peel, reserved melted chips and remaining cinnamon. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into pie pumpkin.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 431 calories, 34g fat (21g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 8, 2017
This is creamy with a great pumpkin taste. My husband likes to use it as a dip for gingersnap cookies.
Sep 17, 2015
So, you only scoop out the seeds and leave the pumpkin to bake in the oven?
Oct 16, 2013
This is awesome! I took this to a birthday social and everyone raved over it. I will make this again.
Oct 18, 2012
Easy and quick to make. It can be used in many ways such as a pie filling, filling in cup cakes, or just by itself.
Oct 18, 2012
easy and quick to make. It can be used in many ways such as a pie filling, filling in cup cakes, or just by itself as meant to be.
Oct 10, 2012
I didn't bother with the hallowed pumpkin, just made the mousse. For someone who doesn't like pumpkin pie, or anything else that has that squashy texture, the fact that I liked this and will most likely make again speaks volumes. I actually added a little more pumpkin than the recipe calls for...I didn't want to waste the 3 tablespoons extra I had. Thank you for the recipe! I finally have something pumpkin-y to make for the holidays!!
Aug 9, 2012
@kkj1259 and everybody else whose filling is like water...make sure to FOLD the whipped topping in. If you stir it in, it will be thin.
Oct 16, 2011
This is a huge hit. People always talk about it and remember it. Preparing the pumpkin is time-consuming, but it's so pretty and fun. My dog just ate my old issue from a few years ago with this recipe. So I just got online to see if I could find it and now I'm a member lol.
Oct 8, 2011
my filling is like water, is there a way to thicken it!
Sep 22, 2011
This is my favorite fall recipe! I sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top. Great recipe!