Pumpkin Icebox Cake
This tube cake is a fun, simple way to make a quick dessert. Pumpkin, chocolate and spice are very nice. —Juli Meyers, Hinesville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 1 hour.+ chilling Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup cold 2% milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (9 ounces) chocolate wafers
- In a large saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over milk; let stand 1 minute. Heat and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved. Whisk in pumpkin, brown sugar, pie spice and salt; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; cool 30 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of mixture; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- Spread scant tablespoonfuls of pumpkin mixture over wafers; arrange in a 8x8-in. baking dish, closely overlapping wafers. Repeat with remaining pumpkin mixture and wafers. Sprinkle top with wafer crumbs. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.