Pumpkin Hush Puppy Meatballs
My Italian husband enjoys a variety of meatballs. I adore pumpkin, so I decided to combine our two favorites and make sausage and pumpkin meatballs. These are extra great because you can make them ahead and freeze until you plan on serving. —Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon seeded jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- Jalapeno pepper jelly
- Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together first five ingredients. Stir in pumpkin, green onions and jalapeno. Add sausage, Jack cheese and cream cheese; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- With wet hands, shape mixture into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place on parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. pans.
- Bake until cooked through, 40-45 minutes, rotating pans halfway.
- Serve with pepper jelly.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 113 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin - Sausage Meatballs in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.