Pumpkin Gnocchi in Sage Butter
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 6 quarts water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a small bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in pumpkin until blended. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 1/2-in.-thick rope; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork.
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the sage, garlic and gnocchi; stir to coat.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 394 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 312mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2016
I have made these pumpkin gnocchi every year for Thanksgiving for the last five years! They remain one of my favorite things to make, they're my "breather" dish that I get to relax to amidst the flurry that is cooking a thanksgiving dinner. Even my super picky step-sons will eat them (and ask for seconds). I have far more success making these than I do other gnocchi recipes; these seem a little more difficult to over-kneed, still possible, but with a little more wiggle room for error.
Dec 30, 2014
Yummy! Pumpkin flavoring was light but present, gnocchi cooked up well - takes a little time, but not too bad. My two-year-old LOVED it, so worth the extra effort.
Sep 6, 2014
Might be partially my fault, but they came out kinda rubbery and weren't very flavorful. Not worth all the extra work to me. I think I'll stick with standard store-bought potato gnocchi.
Nov 27, 2013
Gnocchi turned out well but I didn't get as much of the pumpkin flavor as I would have liked.
Nov 25, 2012
I took this recipe as my side dish for Thanksgiving Dinner with my extended family, first time I had made any sort of gnocchi dish. Everybody who tried it LOVED it. We even got a couple of the picky teenagers to try it. I will definitely be making this dish again. Although, next time I won't triple the recipe, because cutting and forking all those gnocchi took two hours, lol. Still, a fantastic recipe that I will make every Thanksgiving from here until the day I die.
Nov 20, 2012
Yuck, they look like dead grub worms!
Oct 1, 2012
Made this w/ frozen sweet potato gnocchi & it's to die for. A great hit as an hors d'oeuvre at my Groundhog Day party.