Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 mini loaves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and baking soda. Add the pumpkin, molasses, egg, butter and milk. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour; beat on high for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased 4-1/2x2-1/2x1-1/2-in. loaf pans. (There will be a small amount of dough in each pan.) Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 194 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 21, 2016
I made muffins with dark Karo syrup instead of molasses. They were dry so I made a second batch with 1/2 cup pumpkin and shortened the time by a couple of minutes but they were still dry. Would molasses make that kind of difference? Taste was good. I make muffins so I can freeze them and always do it for breads like banana bread.
Dec 5, 2011
Very good...I saw previous reviews that it tasted too much like molasses, so I substituted part of the molasses with honey, but it didn't really taste like gingerbread. Next time I will use the full amount of molasses. But still, a very good pumpkin bread recipe!
Nov 18, 2009
The molasses was a little overpowering. I think I was expecting more of a pumpkin/ginger taste but I taste the molasses more than anything. The consistency turned out nicely, though. It was nice and moist.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.