Pumpkin Gingerbread with Hard Sauce
Cakes are a terrific dessert to take to potlucks because they travel well and feed a lot of people. The slightly sweet hard sauce can also be served with quick breads and scones.—Iola Egle, Bella Vista, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in pumpkin and molasses. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt and pie spice; add to the creamed mixture. Beat just until combined. Fold in apple.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Serve with gingerbread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 595 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Apple Gingerbread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009