- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger. Add pumpkin, molasses, egg, butter and milk. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then on high for 2 minutes. Add the remaining flour; beat on high for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased 4-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. x 1-1/2-in. loaf pan. (There will be a small amount of dough in each pan.) Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire racks. Cool completely. Yield: 2 mini loaves.
Reviews forPumpkin Gingerbread
"I made muffins with dark Karo syrup instead of molasses. They were dry so I made a second batch with 1/2 cup pumpkin and shortened the time by a couple of minutes but they were still dry. Would molasses make that kind of difference? Taste was good. I make muffins so I can freeze them and always do it for breads like banana bread."
"Very good...I saw previous reviews that it tasted too much like molasses, so I substituted part of the molasses with honey, but it didn't really taste like gingerbread. Next time I will use the full amount of molasses. But still, a very good pumpkin bread recipe!"
"The molasses was a little overpowering. I think I was expecting more of a pumpkin/ginger taste but I taste the molasses more than anything. The consistency turned out nicely, though. It was nice and moist."