Instead of making ordinary gingerbread, I like to rely on this dressed-up version. The pumpkin gingerbread features a nutty crust and delicious caramel sauce.—Mitzi Sentiff, Annapolis, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes1 loaf(6 servings)with 3/4 cup sauce
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine the egg, buttermilk, pumpkin and molasses; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in pecans.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and corn syrup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in cream. Return to a boil; remove from the heat. Serve with warm gingerbread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 516 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2nd Edition