Pumpkin Date Nut Bread
We think this a moist and yummy bread. It is full of nuts and is topped with a pretty caramel-colored glaze. The flavors remind me of autumn.—Wendy Rusch, New Richmond, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) pitted dates, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- CARAMEL GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, oil, water and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in dates and pecans.
- Transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For glaze, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, sugar, butter and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium. Do not stir. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until bubbles form in center and syrup turns amber brown. Remove from the heat; transfer to a small bowl. Cool to room temperature. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Drizzle over loaves.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 296 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Date Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.