Pumpkin Cupcakes with Spiced Frosting
My aunt makes the most delicious pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. But my kids prefer cupcakes for dessert, so I created these for all the youngsters at our holiday table! —Aimee Shugarman, Liberty Township, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 36 pieces candy corn
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper or foil liners. Beat first six ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- Mix frosting, whipped topping and cinnamon. Pipe or spoon onto cupcakes; top with candy corn. Refrigerate leftovers.