Pumpkin Corn Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in butter until almost tender. Add the corn, jalapeno, garlic and chili powder; saute 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the broth, pumpkin, salt and cayenne until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 120 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 14, 2016
I can't decide if I like this or not. I subbed a hot red chili for the jalapeno. The taste is good (though spicy), but the pumpkin gives it an interesting texture-- like it's halfway between a soup and a chili.
Nov 17, 2014
I love this soup! Trying to keep it healthy, I omit the salt and use low sodium broth. Then I add a little extra cayenne to add more heat. Great soup on a chilly winter day!
Mar 31, 2014
This soup wasn't our favorite. I think we would have enjoyed it with a bit more flavor instead of just spice from the peppers. Perhaps I'll try it again with bacon, like another reviewer suggested!
Oct 31, 2011
I was very surprised how creamy the pumpkin makes this soup. It reminded me of a chili so..... I rinsed a can of kidney beans and added it, along with a "handful" of bacon bits...Oh my, I highly recommand this soup.
Nov 2, 2010
I made this soup for dinner Halloween night. It was a huge hit. In fact I'm making it again tonight for a family get together. I omitted the cayenne pepper and the jalapeno pepper only for the fact that I didn't want it too spicy for my grandchildren. Even with those left out, it turned out excellent!
Sep 29, 2009
I thought it could have used a little less onion.