Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter Frosting
The recipe for these pleasantly spiced pumpkin cookies won a champion ribbon at our local county fair. These are a family favorite, and everyone enjoys the soft, cake-like texture. —Robin Nagel, Whitehall, Montana
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 9 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin, egg and crystallized ginger. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Transfer to a large bowl. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Spread over cookies.
Freeze option: Freeze unfrosted cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw in covered containers and frost as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 93 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Soft Ginger-Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter Frosting in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.