Pumpkin-Citrus Tube Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, sugar, milk, eggs, orange juice, oil, maple flavoring and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flours, flaxseed, orange zest, baking powder, cornstarch, poppy seeds, pie spice, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar, orange zest and enough juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 301 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 12, 2018
I substituted the eggs with 1 ripe Banana and used oatmilk to make this cake vegan, and it was absolutely gorgeous. I will definitely make it again and again in the pumpkin season. A really good choice to use my last pumpkin of 2017 [email protected], I know it is years late, but you can just skip that small amount of flaxseed. You could also use chia-seeds instead if you have those at home.
Dec 3, 2013
Lots of pumpkin flavor and the cake came out very pretty looking. But the icing soaked into the cake after just one day. This was a very dense cake. Not so bad but I have other favorites.
Sep 24, 2013
So good and healthy too! It was gone in one day.
Oct 2, 2012
was interested until I got to the flaxseed/ didn't want to buy just to use for this recipe/ could it be replaced with something else?
Oct 1, 2012
There is a lot of interesting flavours and textures plus makes a moist cake.
Nov 15, 2011
prep time was more than 20 min. the batter seemed too thin. the cake did not rise,therefore was very heavy! not good very disappointed!!