Pumpkin Chip Cake with Walnuts
My grandmother gave me this family recipe. After a few changes, I made the treat even healthier and tastier. Holidays wouldn’t be the same without it!—Amy Bridgewater, Aztec, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring, optional
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 8 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, pumpkin, applesauce, oil and, if desired, flavoring until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor’s Note: To remove cakes easily, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans. To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.