Pumpkin Bread with Gingerbread Topping
This yummy pumpkin bread won first prize in the Acorn Pantry Bread Contest. It melts in your mouth, and the recipe easily doubles for gift-giving. —Renee' Nanez, Frederic, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes5 loaves (6 slices each)
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 10 gingersnap cookies
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly. Add sugar, pumpkin and eggs; beat until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Fold in walnuts and ginger.
- Transfer to five greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Place cookies, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a food processor; pulse until cookies are finely ground. Add butter; pulse until crumbly. Sprinkle cookie mixture and, if desired, walnuts over batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 212 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Brown Butter Pumpkin-Ginger Bread With Cookie Crumb Topping in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.