Pumpkin Bread with Fruit Topping
This unusual appetizer is popular with all ages. The pumpkin toasts are almost like little cookies, topped with wonderfully spiced fruit. You could even serve these as a dessert with hot cider or cocoa.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup apple pie filling, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda and cloves; add to the butter mixture just until blended.
- Transfer to three greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Transfer loaves to a cutting board; cut into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 5-10 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For topping, in a small saucepan, combine the pie filling, raisins, cranberries, molasses and spices. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Combine cornstarch and apple cider until smooth; stir into apple mixture. Return to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool. Serve with toast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 114 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.