Pumpkin Apple Soup
I often make a butternut squash soup on the stove in the fall. This year, I had pumpkins from a local farm, but only enough time to make something in the slow cooker! The apples set the soup off perfectly. If using fresh pumpkin, be sure to puree it well to avoid stringy soup. —Rebecca Phillips, Fayetteville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 14 ounces smoked sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Sliced apple, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, on low until flavors are blended, 6-8 hours.
- Add sausage, cream and brown sugar to slow cooker. Cook until heated through, 30-35 minutes. Discard bay leaves. If desired, serve with apple.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 237 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1216mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Apple Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.