Pumpkin Angel Food Cake
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 14 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- Additional ground cinnamon, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Fold a fourth of the batter into pumpkin mixture; gently fold in the remaining batter. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- 2. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 38-44 minutes or until top is golden brown and cake springs back when lightly touched and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 3. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Garnish each slice with 1 tablespoon whipped topping; sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
1 slice: 151 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Oct 10, 2018I had the same problem as others and NO I did not use a cooking spray. It baked up beautifully even though I had to bake it an additional 10 minutes. I hung it upside down for over an hour and when I went to put it on a cooling rack I found it had all dumped out. I am assuming this was because I used my own pumpkin puree rather than store bought but even so, I was no a fan of the flavour (yes I had to have a bite! LOL). I've been baking for 46 years and this is the first cake I've had fall. Oh well. I'll just go back to my chiffon spice cake I normally make at this time of year.
Oct 22, 2016
This is a great recipe...simple and delicious! I used a 9x13 pan and cut it into bite sized squares...skipped the topping. Goes great with mid-morning coffee!!!!
Oct 23, 2015
I love this recipe so much!!! So moist and satisfying! If your cake fell out of the pan than that means you probably sprayed non-stick spray or greased the pan with something. An angel food cake needs to be in an ungreased pan because the batter needs to cling to the sides of the pan to help it raise and to help it hold it's shape and most importantly to help it stay in the pan when you tip it upside down to cool.
Oct 6, 2015
Well, I wasted an angel food cake mix and a can of pumpkin AND some cool whip. I prepared just as directed but after cooking for 40 min. it was still so not done. Cooked it for 10 more minutes. Took it out, inverted the pan and FLOP! It all fell out. We ate a couple of spoonfuls but couldn't serve it. Just don't know what went wrong.
Nov 22, 2014
i use a big can of pumpkin pie mix that already has the spices in it. i just mix it and the angel food cake mix. i find it works best with Duncan Hines brand.
Oct 12, 2014
Love it and make it every fall
Sep 30, 2014
I made this using pumpkin pie spice. I also cooked it in a 9 x 13 pan rather than a tube pan. It was very tasty. It would also taste good with a cream cheese icing.
Dec 31, 1969
Mine did not get the height as the one in the photo. I used pumpkin pie spice - 1 1/2 Tablespoons - since that is what I had. Turned out more like gingerbread cake with a little more poof. All in all, not bad. Not impressive, but not bad.
Dec 31, 1969
I followed the directions but my cake came out very dense and didn't cook all the way. I tried putting it back in for a bit, but it just wasn't right. I may have to give another try. My hubby said it's okay and that he'll eat it, but it wasn't a hit.
Nov 18, 2012
I use pumpkin pie spice instead of all the others (same thing only different) and I've been making it for the past 3 years. I make some for myself and some I give as gifts. It's not too sweet, not too heavy. A very nice "light" option for desert or snack.