Pumpkin and Plantain Mash
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium pie pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 12 shallots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Place the pumpkin, plantain and garlic in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook shallots in oil until tender. Add the wine, brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and chili powder; cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until shallots are golden brown.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a large saucepan; add broth and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; add pumpkin and plantain. Mash with butter and remaining salt and pepper. Top with shallots.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 216 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Sep 23, 2014
I made this today for the Cook's Corner ingredient challenge for the week of 9/22. I wasn't able to find a pie pumpkin so used a butternut. Otherwise, I followed the recipe. When the squash and plantains were tender, I had some difficulty mashing it by hand so I pulsed it in the food processor. After tasting I added another teaspoon of bronulated brown sugar. I placed the mixture in a glass pie plate and topped it with the shallots. Because I don't like to waste anything, I toasted the squash seeds and garnished the finished dish with them. Thank you Donna for this unique dish. I love the taste of the plantain and, if it weren't for the challenge ingredient, I probably would not have tried this recipe. I am glad that I did. It is a wonderful, savory side dish! I will definitely put this in my keeper file to make again.