- 3/4 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 2 Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh sage, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt, pepper and ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 teaspoon.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil and reserved drippings over medium-high heat until tender. Add wine and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, 1-1/2 teaspoons sage and remaining seasonings; cook 1 minute longer. Add the cream and sausage; heat through. Remove bay leaf.
- Drain pasta; transfer to a large bowl. Add sausage mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining sage. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forPumpkin & Sausage Penne
"Wasn't quite sure what to expect going into this one but it was super-delicious! The whole family loved it! I did use the wine but didn't add the cinnamon and nutmeg because I'm not a huge fan of those flavors in savory dishes (and when I tasted it, I didn't think it could be improved upon). And I used parmigiano reggiano instead of Romano because it was what I already had on hand."
"Wonderful! This was quick and easy to make. The pumpkin makes the dish different, but the Romano MAKES the dish. I am mildly allergic to milk, but was able to use Silk Soy Creamer as a substitute. I had no sub for the cheese, however so I used it sparingly on my portion. I used stock instead of broth, ground Italian sausage and unoaked chardonnay. Even my 2-1/2 year old loved it!"
"This is different. I doubled the recipe, used Italian chicken sausage and evaporated milk instead of cream. I liked it a lot."
"I double this recipie just to have leftovers!"
"Very good! I have been in the mood trying new recipes lately. This was a nice change from the usual. I served it with steamed asparagus."
"sending this recipe to my family to make too! We didnt use the sage due to young children eating it as well. YUM!"
"Yuck! This was very bad. We are not picky eaters, but no one liked it."
"Doubled this recipe. It's a unique pasta dish & great alternative to pasta with tomato sauce. My picky 3 year old actually ate this. My sauce turned out a little thin, but thickened as it rested. I liked the sage/cinnamon/nutmeg combination with the pumpkin. I will most likely make this again, but it will probably just be a seasonal meal."
"This was simple to make with great flavor! I now double and triple this recipe for freezing-great for last minute dinner guests!"