These dense muffins are a perfect accompaniment to a hearty entree. The rye flour gives the texture some and the dried cherries add to the flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, oil, molasses and chocolate. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cherries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pumpernickle Muffins in Reminisce Extra September 2009