These dense muffins are a perfect accompaniment to a hearty entree. The rye flour gives the texture some and the dried cherries add to the flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, oil, molasses and chocolate. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cherries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 264 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pumpernickle Muffins in Reminisce Extra September 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.