- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2/3 cup rye flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 5 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1 pound).
Reviews forPumpernickel Caraway Bread
"I liked this simple pumpernickel bread. I would probably increase the rye flour a little next time, I wanted it to have a little more of that richness. I didn't have instant coffee so brewed strong coffee and swapped out a little of the water."
"Sorry I deleted my post as I misread the recipe. It only has 2 C flour + 2 T cornmeal so I will follow said recipe as written. Making it now. I usually make a larger loaf but will do this small loaf and then tweak it to better suit my bread machine."
"I've made this recipe twice now, and while it tasted pretty good, it did not rise well; I am not sure why."
"I am not fond of coffee and I didn't have instant coffee granules in the house so I made it without. It turned out very well. I did need to add quite a bit of extra flour as the dough was very moist."