Pulled Molasses Taffy Recipe
- 5 teaspoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1. Butter a 15x10x1-in. pan with 3 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the water, brown sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Add molasses and remaining butter. Cook, uncovered until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; pour into prepared pan. Cool for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- 2. With buttered fingers, quickly pull half of the candy until firm but pliable. Pull and shape into a 1/2-in. rope. Cut into 1-1/4-in. pieces. Repeat with remaining taffy. Wrap pieces individually in foil or waxed paper; twist ends. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Yield: 14-1/2 dozen.
Editor's Note: For easier candy making, enlist family members to help twist and pull the taffy with you. We recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
2 pieces: 17 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Pulled Molasses Taffy
"this is some goog taffy for a party"