Puffy Dessert Omelet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced and sweetened
- Whipped cream
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form; set aside. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar, flour, lemon zest and vanilla until smooth. Fold in egg whites. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add egg mixture. Cook without stirring for 6-7 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Remove from the heat. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or just until top is golden (watch carefully). Fold omelet in half; transfer to a serving platter. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 249 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 334mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Mar 9, 2011
I probably shouldn't have rated this recipe, because I actually haven't made it. However, it reminds me of a recipe I used to make about 44 years ago when I was a new wife. It was made just like this and it was one of our favorite Saturday morning breakfasts. I made it again and again. And, I will be making this one this weekend. It sounds exactly like the one I used to make. I wore out the recipe card and lost it a long time ago. Thanks for this one.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.