Puffy Chile Rellenos Casserole Recipe
- 4 cans (7 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 cups egg substitute
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup salsa
- 1. Cut along one side of each chili and open to lie flat. Coat a 13x9-in. baking dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the chilies, tortilla strips, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in prepared dish. Repeat layers.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat the egg substitute, milk, garlic powder, cumin, pepper and salt. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until puffy and a knife inserted 2 in. from the edge of the pan comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 213 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Puffy Chile Rellenos Casserole
"I will try this recipe again with some changes. The concept is a great one and its fairly quick to make. Its a little bland.....but cannot yet figure out how I am going to change it up to make it better."
"We just got done eating this and it turned out to be a keeper. Next time I plan on making it spicier and it seemed to have been lacking salt or some other flavor. I also had to cook it for almost and hour because at 45 minutes the egg was still runny. I love that this is tasty and healthy!"