- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large apple, peeled if desired and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°. Mix flour, baking powder and, if desired, salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk and lemon juice; stir into flour mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until stiff peaks form. Fold into flour mixture.
- Pour into a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Arrange apple slices over top. Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apple.
- Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forPuffy Apple Omelet
"This is a great low carb diet dessert. I omitted the teaspoon of sugar over the apples and really upped the cinnamon. I also added just a tad of Mexican vanilla to the egg while to give it more flavor. Next time, I will add even more. While I didn't mind the apples still being crunchy, I read one reviewer's suggestion of partially cooking the apples before adding to the pie pan. That would bring out the natural juices more which is a great suggestion."
"I made this for my father every Sunday for his last 5 years of life. It was his favorite"
"This was really good and really fluffed up in the oven. It was light but filling and I enjoyed the tartness of the apples. Next time, I'll try cooking the apples in the cinnamon and sugar to get them a little softer, before putting them in the oven."
"Outstanding. I think it should be called a puffy pancake though. My husband won't eat eggs, and he never knew!I used whole wheat pastry flour and Stevia and it was fabulous. Light and guilt free!"
"This is excellent! Very light and full of flavor."
"My husband and I had this for dinner tonight. We love it so much, I'm going to quadruple the recipe so that we'll have enough for our kids!"