My Grandma Hunt is almost 90 years old. Whenever she comes over, she makes her famous Puffed Wheat Balls by the dozen. Her 82 grandchildren and 168 great-grandchildren all love them. —Lucile Proctor, Panguitch, Utah
Featured In: 43 Nut-Free School Snacks
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 cups unsweetened puffed wheat cereal
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Place cereal in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring brown sugar, corn syrup and butter to a boil. In a small bowl, combine evaporated milk and sugar; add to boiling mixture. Cook until candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Pour over cereal and stir to coat.
- Shape into 2-in. balls. Wrap individually in plastic wrap if desired. Store in airtight containers. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Puffed Wheat Balls in Taste of Home December/January 1994, p64