Puffed Pizza Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 teaspoons spaghetti sauce mix
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, water and spaghetti sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place flour in a small bowl. Combine the milk, egg and oil; whisk into flour just until blended.
- Pour meat mixture into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Pour flour mixture over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and center is set.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 382 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 995mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Nov 23, 2015
A change of pace for ground beef. It was okay.
Jun 19, 2015
Easy and very yummy....will need to double recipe so there is plenty
Feb 28, 2014
Excellent. The topping with the parmesan cheese really adds to the flavor.
Jan 19, 2014
My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe...it was just the right amount for the two of us! I used my home-canned pizza sauce and added mushrooms and black olives. I will definitely make it again!
Nov 1, 2010
Great CASSEROLE...I'm trying to understand why people think this could be a slow cooker recipe. Seriously, it says slow cooker AND Casserole dishes on the e-mail. What part of and don't you peole get!
Jul 22, 2009
What is wrong with you people? It is obvious that you should cook this in the oven and if you look a little further you will find the slow cooker recipes. Get a life.
Jul 14, 2009
Slow cookers & Casseroles!
Jul 14, 2009
It's because the orginal email that you got this from says slow cooker AND casserole recipes. You are correct that the spaghetti sauce mix is located by where you find the packaged gravy mixes.
Jul 13, 2009
Me too! What's up with that?
Jul 13, 2009
I second the comment about this not being a slow cooker recipe :-( As for 'spaghettie sauce mix' ... I assume that is the packaged spice mix you can buy in the same area of the grocery store where you buy packaged gravy mixes, right?