Pudding Teddy Bears
When our home economists spotted a pleasingly creamy pudding recipe from Sherry Bonner of Winnsboro, Louisiana, they decided to figure some extra fun into it. First, they filled small graham cracker crusts with her treat, then fashioned cute cub faces from cookies and candy. It's a hit with kids of any age!—Sherry Bonner, Winnsboro, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 individual graham cracker crust
- 1 strip red shoestring licorice
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 16 vanilla wafers
- 16 M&M's
- 8 red-hot candies
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Add eggs; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Spoon into crusts; refrigerate.
- Cut licorice into eight 1-in. pieces and eight 1/2-in. pieces; set aside. Just before serving, sprinkle coconut over pudding. Insert two vanilla wafers in each for ears. Add M&M's for eyes and red-hot for nose. Bend 1-in. pieces of licorice into a semicircle; place 1/2 in. below nose for mouth. Connect nose and mouth with 1/2 in. pieces of licorice.
Originally published as Pudding Teddy Bears in Crafting Traditions July/August 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.