- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Pastel sprinkles
- Black shoestring licorice, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes; cool completely. Slice off the top fourth of each cupcake; cut the slices in half and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Fold in whipped topping. Spoon 2 tablespoons pudding mixture onto each cupcake.
- For wings, place two reserved cupcake halves, rounded edges together, in pudding mixture. Gently press sprinkles into wings (cupcakes should be moist enough for candy to stick). For antennae, insert two licorice pieces into each cupcake. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forPudding-Filled Butterfly Cupcakes
"what a cute idea. My daughter picked these out for me to make for her preschool picnic, and they were a great hit. Super simple, the hardest and most time consuming part was baking the cupcakes. Next time I might try a regular frosting instead of the pudding and whipped topping, not a big fan of the texture of the topping with the cake on both sides like that."