Provencal Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dry navy beans
- 3 medium leeks (white part only), chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 9 cups water
- 1 smoked boneless ham or pork shoulder (about 2 pounds), cubed
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain, discarding the liquid; set beans aside. In the same pan, saute leeks, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add water, ham, cloves, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours or until the beans are almost tender.Add carrots, turnips, potatoes, kale and parsley. Cover and simmer 25-35 minutes longer or until the beans and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves and cloves before serving. Yield: 16-18 servings (about 4-1/2 quarts).
Editor's Note: 2 cups of shredded cabbage may be substituted for the kale
1 cup: 192 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Provencal Bean Soup
"I am quite taken with this bean soup, especially the kale which adds such an interesting flavor. I definitely will make this again."