- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 3 medium leeks (white part only), chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 9 cups water
- 1 smoked boneless ham or pork shoulder (about 2 pounds), cubed
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups shredded fresh kale
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse, discarding liquid; set beans aside. In the same pan, saute the leeks, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the water, ham, cloves, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours or until the beans are almost tender.
- Add carrots, turnips, potatoes, kale and parsley. Cover and simmer 25-35 minutes longer or until the beans and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves and cloves before serving. Yield: 16-18 servings (about 4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forProvencal Bean Soup
"I am quite taken with this bean soup, especially the kale which adds such an interesting flavor. I definitely will make this again."