Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 16 large fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 thin slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove stems from mushrooms; finely chop stems. Drizzle caps with 2 tablespoons oil; set aside. In a large skillet, saute the stems, onion and garlic in butter and remaining oil until tender.
- Stir in bread crumbs and prosciutto. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Stir in the oregano, lemon juice and pepper. Spoon mixture firmly into mushroom caps.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted.
Jan 15, 2011
loved the taste but will mix cheese in with mixture because the mozzarella slides off the top when you cut into it. made it with fresh toasted bread crumbs to absorb more of the flavours. all in all a new favorite!
Nov 22, 2010
I prepared this recipe as an appetizer for a steak dinner I served to friends and family. They were a hit. I actually don't care for mushrooms; but the stuffing is so delicious, I was even able to enjoy the mushroom with it. The mushroom lovers in the group were very impressed and really enjoyed them! I will definitely make this again. They'd be great for a party, especially since you can make them up ahead of time and then just pop them in the oven.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.