- 2 large sweet red peppers, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup canned stewed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Place peppers in an ungreased shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the tomatoes, rice and water. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in the beans, corn, onions and pepper flakes; spoon into peppers.
- Sprinkle with cheeses. Microwave, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forPronto Vegetarian Peppers
"I thought these were okay but not great. I guess for me I really missed the meat; some sausage or ground beef would have been good."
"Good idea - hubby loves stuffed peppers...thanks Renee!"
"Made these the other night & loved them. Work great as leftovers if you make extras. We had small peppers so we used 4 small peppers, a 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes & increased the rice to 1/2 cup. Also finished the peppers off in the oven. Excellent"
"I made them in the oven instead of the microwave and they were still delicious. I baked at 400 for 30 minutes. Fantastic recipe!!"
"Looks fantastic! Anyone have any advice on how to make it in the oven instead of microwave?"
"I have made this many times. My husband insists on meat with his meals and so I slice a cooked chicken/apple sausage link into rounds and tuck them into the filled peppers. Totally delicious!"
"Plan on trying this tonight since the heat index here is over 100 degrees and this is a totally microwave dish. I don't have any stewed tomatoes on hand so I'll just use some flavored canned ones. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with serving this with pasta and understand some people may have a problem with it. Just rate the recipe on its own merit and serve it however you like."
"people who are non-vegans may not know that the combo of beans and rice yields a complete protein equal to meat. Sometimes just knowing this adds to satisfaction with the food."