- 2-1/4 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Add onion and green pepper; cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, garlic, tarragon, basil and cayenne.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Drain pasta; toss with sausage mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese.
1 cup: 373 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.