- 2-1/4 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Add onion and green pepper; cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, garlic, tarragon, basil and cayenne.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Drain pasta; toss with sausage mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPronto Penne Pasta
"Yum! We used a 13 ounce box of whole wheat penne & it was plenty. The store did not have Italian turkey sausage links, so I used 1 pound ground Italian sausage.- Theresa"
"This is a really good recipe. I used Italian sausage that I had in the freezer and I think 1 link was hot because this had a little kick. I used asiago for the parmesan. The servings are pretty accurate. I halved the recipe (from 6) and measured out 6 ounces of pasta = 2 oz./pp."
"this recipe was delicious and approved by my 7 yr old. i did leave out the tarragon because i did not have any and i used very lean hamburger since i did not have that turkey sausage either. regardless it was great!!"
"Really good! Makes way more than 6 servings."