Pronto Mini Pizzas
"These quick savory pizzas on pita bread crusts are an excellent snack anytime," informs Debbi Smith of Crossett, Arkansas. "I also serve them as a light meal on busy days."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 pita breads
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, cook the meat, mushroom, green pepper, onion and garlic until the meat is browned and the vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, fennel, salt and oregano. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm pitas in microwave. Top each with meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Microwave or broil until cheese is melted. Cut into quarters.
Nutrition Facts4 pieces: 456 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 1059mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Pronto Mini Pizzas in Taste of Home October/November 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.