You'll love the way the nutmeg in this pretty pasta dish blends with the cayenne pepper. I usually double the recipe because I like the leftovers even better! This entree is especially good serve with homemade pesto bread. -Vicky Root Greenville, Ohio
Recommended: 26 Healthy Meals in a Bowl
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 2/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
- In a same skillet, saute the red pepper, mushrooms, onions, nutmeg and cayenne just until vegetables are tender. Add cream and broth. Bring to a boil; cook until sauce is reduced by a third.
- Cook the linguine according to package directions; drain. Add the chicken, linguine, pine nuts, peas and remaining salt and pepper to sauce; heat through. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Primavera Chicken in Taste of Home February/March 2005, p28