Pretty Pineapple Torte Recipe
"Pineapple stars in both the cake and filling in this tall, beautiful dessert," remarks Iola Egle of McCook, Nebraska. "It's creamy and just lightly sweet."
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar. Beat in egg yolks. Drain pineapple, reserving 2/3 cup juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use). In a bowl, combine juice, 3/4 cup pineapple and vanilla (set remaining pineapple aside for the filling).
- 2. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with pineapple mixture. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining whites. Spoon into two greased and floured 9-in. round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, beat the cream, sugar and extract in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold in reserved pineapple. Split each cake layer in half horizontally. Spread about 3/4 cup filling between each layer; spread remaining filling over the top. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 piece: 402 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Pretty Pineapple Torte
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC