Pretty Pepper Soup
I LIKE TO CREATE new dishes for my husband and me. I'd rather fuss over a meal and set a fancy table than go out to eat. I often serve this soup on special occasions such as our wedding anniversary...we have celebrated 56 of them! -Bessie Hulett, Shively, Kentucky
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 bacon strip
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 3 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chives and additional chopped red pepper, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel to drain. To the drippings, add the red pepper, onion and garlic; saute until onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, hot pepper sauce and cayenne until well blended. Add 1/4 cup broth. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes. Puree in a blender; set aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually add remaining broth; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; reduce heat to low.
- Gradually stir in cream and salt. Add puree; heat through. Crumble bacon over top. Garnish with chives and red pepper if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 382 calories, 35g fat (20g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 933mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pretty Pepper Soup in Reminisce Extra August 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.