- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add ham, red pepper and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until ham is browned and vegetables are tender. Add garlic and herbs; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add pasta; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPretty Penne Ham Skillet
"This was a great base. I added broccoli And asparagus. I Cooked Elbows In chicken broth for added flavour.It was good but I forgot the lemon juice.that was probably the zing that i was missing.overall I really liked it."
"easy!I USED LEFTOVER HAM FROM THE HOLIDAY AND THE STOCK INSTEAD OF A CAN OF BROTH!I'LL BE ADDING THIS RECIPE TO THE FAMILY COLLECTION."
"Enjoyed this recipe. The only change I made was omitting the red pepper. I will make again, great way to use leftover ham up."
"What a delightful recipe this turned out be when I tried it last night! I took a chance and used a recipe I'd never made before for company, and everyone loved it! I did cut down a bit on the oil and butter, and didn't use a full three cups of ham, but those were the only changes I made. It's light, easy, and quick to prepare......not to mention delicious!.......and there are so many good vegetable dishes/salads you can pair it with because it isn't a heavy main dish. A real keeper, and will be used frequently in the future!"
"didnt seem like a lot of taste but it was nice for a change of pace."
"This was good , but a little runny. enjoyed."
"This is a fantastic recipe. I happened to have some mushrooms so added them in while cooking the other veggies. It was delicious."
"Made this about a month ago. We thought it was dry and that it did not need as much oil and butter. Actually used one T of olive oil and 2 T of broth to saute onion, red pepper and ham in the first place. I did continue to add broth throughout. I used no-salt added vegetable broth as it always seems richer to me and gives a little more flavor than chicken broth. After I had everything put together I checked for moisture and added a couple T of milk and the same of more broth.quick recipe and nice idea."