When that blushed golden fruit finally arrives at fruit stands, this is the first dessert I think of. It's such a delightful way to celebrate the arrival of peaches. It's just plain perfection. You can make the tart with other varieties of fruit, too. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds peaches (about 7 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cream butter, sugar and nutmeg until light and fluffy. Beat in flour until blended (mixture will be dry). Press firmly onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake on a middle oven rack until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, toss peaches with sugar, flour, cinnamon and extract; add to crust. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake tart on a lower oven rack until crust is golden brown and peaches are tender, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pretty Peach Tart in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p225