When ripe peaches finally arrive at fruit stands, this is the first recipe I reach for. It's just plain perfection—and a delightful way to celebrate their arrival! You can make the tart with other varieties of fruit, too. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Recommended: The 75 Best Ways to Enjoy Farmer’s Market Peaches
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds peaches (about 7 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cream butter, sugar and nutmeg until light and fluffy. Beat in flour until blended (mixture will be dry). Press firmly onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake on a middle oven rack until lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, toss peaches with sugar, flour, cinnamon and extract; add to crust. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake tart on a lower oven rack until crust is golden brown and peaches are tender, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pretty Peach Tart in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p225