- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- OPTIONAL GLAZE:
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 4 teaspoons warm water
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon a third of the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Top with a third of the cranberry sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extract and enough water to reach a drizzling consistency. Spoon over coffee cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forPretty Cranberry Coffee Cake
"Made this gluten-free, and we all thought it was delicious! Definitely a keeper.I am allergic to wheat, so I made it gluten-free -- I used all purpose gluten-free flour (I basically use the recipe from Gluten Free on a Shoestring, but add 1/4 Cup oat bran to it and run it all through my food processor.) I did sub in a couple tablespoons of almond flour for a couple tablespoons of the all purpose flour. I then added a third egg and a second teaspoon of baking powder. That was it -- and my husband initially thought it wasn't gluten-free at all! My daughter who doesn't usually like fruit in baked goods loved it too. I wasn't paying attention and sprinkled walnuts over the cranberry sauce between layers in addition to on top of the cake, which we liked as well. Very good coffee cake, and a good GF conversion option!"
"This is a very yummy coffee cake. I used toasted pecans instead of the walnuts and everyone loved it!"
"I recall making this cake before but now that I'm a newbie Field Editor, I prepared this recipe again so that I could rate it & review this recipe! I used 1/2 vegetable shortening and half butter so that I could conserve on my butter supply! I used 1 tsp. salt & instead of sour cream, I used a 6-oz. container of Greek cherry yogurt (Chobani brand with fruit on the bottom or generic ) which I stirred up well)! I used an 8-1/2to 8-3/4" square pan, greased and floured and what I did was place 1/3 cup batter, 1/2 of the cranberry sauce, then 1/3 cup batter again and balance of sauce, then balance of batter. I did bake for exactly 1 hour-top got quite browned, so I cut away the burnt parts with a sharp paring knife! I'd say baking time would be 50 to 60 minutes-bake 50 minutes, then test the cake and if a cake tester comes out gooey, then bake 5 to 10 more minutes! I did use the chopped walnuts on top of cake since this was what the recipe called for! Normally, I don't use nuts in my cakes unless absolutely needed and this is one of those times! The flour, baking powder and baking soda I kept the same! The sugar and eggs I kept the same, too! I didn't glaze the cake! Generally, I like to leave my coffee cakes as they are! I think it also depends on the individual tastes of the person who prepares a recipe! Darlene Brendan(aka Markel), thank you so much for this recipe! This IS a pretty coffee cake! I'm sure that I'll be using this often and it was quick to assemble and bake, too! delowenstein"
"This is a good cake! Although I prefer chocolate desserts I like this cake, and I wont even try to say how much my mom and older sister like it. I have made a few adjustments to the recipe and now they like it even better. I use 3/4 cup margarine instead of 1 cup butter, I use about 3/4 cup wheat flour with 1 1/2 cups white flour, and I substitute plain yogurt for sour cream. Also, After I grease the pan (I usually use a spring-form pan) I sprinkle the bottom of the pan with about 1/2 cup sliced almonds. (I do not use the walnuts) Then I layer as the recipes says, except after I put on the cranberry sauce I sprinkle about 1/3 cup of oats. My mom and sister always request this cake for their birthday. Thank you!"