Pretty Almond Green Beans
“The traditional flavors of green beans, mushrooms and onions without the calories of traditional green-bean casseroles! This dish is light, festive and easy to put together. It's become a holiday tradition at our house.” Vikki Peck - Poland, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 4-7 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the pepper, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Drain beans; stir into vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 78 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Lighter Green Bean Casserole in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009